HOW TO USE SURGICAL FACE MASK
Who could ever believe that equipment meant for particular workers would become a common protective measure that everyone would adapt to during this COVID 19 pandemic? Wearing a face mask, if not the best way of preventing the spread of air-bone infections is obviously one of the most important preventive measures. Therefore it’s prudent we talk about it right?
The effective use of face mask comprises of how well we put it on, use, take off, and dispose of it.
Available on the markets now are; disposable and non-disposable face masks.
For this article, we would focus on a disposable face mask. Check out our article on how to make and use non-disposable cloth face mask
How to put it on
- Before touching the mask, first, wash your hands with soap and water or rub your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Take the mask and inspect it for tears.
- Check the right orientation of the mask. Usually the side with the metal strip should be the top side (the side on the nose). Ensure the proper side of the mask faces outwards (the colored side).
- The following steps are how to put on the different forms of face mask
Face Mask with Earloops: Place a loop around each ear.
Face Mask with Ties: Place the ties over the crown of your head and secure with a bow.
Face Mask with Bands: Place the top strap over your head so that it rests over the crown of your head.
- Pinch the metal strip or stiff edge of the mask so it molds to the shape of your nose.
- Pull down the mask’s bottom so it covers your mouth and your chin.
Who to use it
Wearing a surgical mask alone might give a false feeling of protection and can even be a source of infection when not used properly. WHO recommends the use of a surgical mask only by healthcare workers, caretakers, and by people who are sick with symptoms like fever and cough.
From experts, not only front lines, but also everyone who leaves the house must have a face mask on to protect him or her from being infected during this period of COVID 19 pandemic.
How to take it off
After use, take off the mask by removing the elastic loops from behind the ears while keeping the mask away from your face and clothes. This is to avoid touching potentially contaminated surfaces of the mask.
How to dispose of it
Dispose of the mask in a closed bin immediately after use.
Wash your hands immediately after discarding the mask with soap under running water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Remember, the fight against the invisible enemy, COVID-19 is real. DON’T leave your home without a face mask. Let’s fight together to prevent the spread of this infection. We need you alive.
#Stay Safe, Stay Clean, Stay Healthy, Stay Home#.